Sunday, October 26, 2014

JENNY'S SONG: THE ANNOTATED VERSION


JENNY (MY ONLY PICTURE)
Driving home from teaching my university class last Monday evening, these are the lines that jumped into my mind:

Jenny, Jenny your mom’s not home
Jenny, Jenny your mom has gone
Jenny, Jenny you must be strong

Jenny’s mom had just recently passed away.  I had never met Jenny’s mom but I had heard she was exquisitely beautiful, extremely musical, and one lovely, lovely lady.  

I do know Jenny.  She is elegant and eloquent, and too, exquisitely beautiful.  She loves good food and fine wine and is the quintessential high school English teacher.

When I got home I added the chords to these introductory lines:


Em      C                    Em              C        [harsh quick strums]
Jenny, Jenny your mom’s not home
Jenny, Jenny your mom has gone
Jenny, Jenny you must be strong
Em       Am                 Em   Am
Jenny, Jenny you’re all alone.

This is a rather harsh beginning I know, but death is serious and troubling, and I figured the minor chords and hard quick strums would set the mood.

Tuesday I wrote verse number one.  I knew this verse ought to begin with the melancholy Dm chord (usually accompanied with Am) and somehow the F and C seemed to fit the gentle and light strumming necessary to change the introductory mood.   

Dm               F                     C     [gentle and light strums]             
Remember songs in the summer
Remember stories in the winter
Em              Am     Em                 Am
Remember …       remember
Dm                       F             C                
Remember the leaves in autumn
Remember the flowers in springtime
Em               Am    Em               Am
Remember …      remember

Since I’d heard that her mother was very artistic and musical, I assumed she, like Jenny, would appreciate the Zen of the seasons, thinking Jenny would remember things about being with her mom different times of the year.  I knew I had to keep with just general descriptions since I really knew no specifics.

It is difficult for me to think of death without being philosophical.  This is my nature.  And it happens that Jenny’s love, Darren, and I are band mates (in Phantom Tide, of which I’ve written about in this blog on several past occasions).  Here is what I wrote Wednesday and Thursday:

Em        C                Em                      C
Life is a dream of phantoms and tides
Oft-times we laugh, oft-times we sigh
Life is a dream of those left behind
Life is a dream of swimming to sea

I must mention now that this is hardly an unabashed plug for our band.  It fits only because Phantom Tide performs only original songs, and was so-named because of Darren’s propensity to write of ghosts and the pain of past loves; whereas, I tend to write about sunny beaches and green seas.  Also, upon reflection (maybe even introspection) I truly believe that phantoms and tides really represent our entire existence (a rather existentialist simplicity I know).  Anyway, all we have in my theory then, is reduced to the yin and yang memories of past beings and events,  and forever the opportunity to look at the sea, as it represents life (in most literary circumstances) and the human nature to keep seeking adventure, so to speak and write.

I needed a change-up, a bridge to transform memories into Zen moments.  All Jenny had to do, I thought, would be to keep mindful of her natural encounters.  I ended the last line with a G chord, which I hoped would be a somewhat happy note (pun intended), simple and honest.

For further effect, I decided that the lyrics need be expressed from the voice of her mom.  I finished the first draft of the song Saturday morning.

Em                                            F
Jenny, Jenny, Jenny you’re not alone
Jenny, Jenny, Jenny your mom’s come home
Em                      Am                 Em                  Am
Listen to the whisp’ring … listen to the whisp’ring

Jenny’s mom is reminding her that she will always be there, has actually just passed on to an amaranthine existence. (Jenny just has to pay Zen-like attention to the natural susurrations!)

Dm            F            C                 
I’m ev’ry song you sing
I’m ev’ry breeze on your skin
Dm           F                 C                     G
I’m ev’ry blanket that warms you in winter
I’m ev’ry bloom, that fragrance in springtime

I finished Jenny's song this morning.  Her mom's maiden name was, Bloom, which easily fit into my seasonal theme.  (I love Phenomenology!)

To wrap, I inserted again, the existential nature of the song, and had Jenny’s mom reaffirm that she would ever be by Jenny’s side. 

 Em              F              Em                      F
Such is the world of phantoms and tides
Such is the world of phantoms and tides
[slow]
Jenny, Jenny I am forever
Em  C    Em
By your side

One of her mom’s last wishes she stated to Jenny:

"I don’t want you to associate me with a particular place – I want you to think of me, everywhere."

Jenny, I do hope I have created some lines that express this last wish.


 JOAN MINTER (NEE BLOOM)

JANUARY 5TH, 1943 -- OCTOBER 18TH, 2014


Joan, may you rest in peace.

Jenny, here is your song:

Em      C                    Em              C
Jenny, Jenny your mom’s not home
Jenny, Jenny your mom has gone
Jenny, Jenny you must be strong

Em       Am                 Em   Am
Jenny, Jenny you’re all alone.


Dm               F                     C                

Remember songs in the summer

Remember stories in the winter



Em              Am     Em                 Am

Remember …       remember



Dm                       F             C                

Remember the leaves in autumn
Remember the flowers in springtime

Em               Am    Em               Am
Remember …      remember

Em        C                Em                      C
Life is a dream of phantoms and tides
Oft-times we laugh, oft-times we sigh
Life is a dream of those left behind
Life is a dream of swimming to sea

[BRIDGE]
Em                                            F
Jenny, Jenny, Jenny you’re not alone
Jenny, Jenny, Jenny your mom’s come home

Em                      Am                 Em                  Am
Listen to the whisp’ring … listen to the whisp’ring 

Dm            F              C                 
I’m ev’ry song you sing
I’m ev’ry breeze on your skin
Dm           F                   C                     G
I’m ev’ry blanket that warms you in winter
I’m ev’ry bloom, that fragrance in springtime

Em              F              Em                      F
Such is the world of phantoms and tides
Such is the world of phantoms and tides

[slow]
Jenny, Jenny I am forever

Em  C    Em
By your side









No comments:

Post a Comment