Tuesday, August 27, 2024

MY ENDLESS SUMMER: A PHOTO ESSAY

WASCANA POOL LAPS

 People are always asking me, So, Neil, are you thinking of retirement anytime soon?”

Factoid: The stats show that significantly more people die during their retirement years than during their years as a working stiff (pun intended)! Immortally armed with this awareness, I have decided that if I never retire, I might never die, or at the very least, delay my dying.

And so, to answer the retirement question, I shall continue with my well-rehearsed broken-record response:

“I WILL CELEBRATE MY RETIREMENT AT MY CELEBRATION OF LIFE!”

Enough existential dread. For my blog entry today, I shall reproduce and sketch my so-far endless SUMMER of 2024!

DIVING WITH BARON AT ELKWATER LAKE, ALBERTA

SWIMMING WITH FAMILY AT OKANAGAN LAKE, BRITISH COLUMBIA

HIKING AT PASQUA LAKE, SASKATCHEWAN

HIKING THE ROCKIES

And busking this summer, marching in my CHAUCERIAN PARADE, I have met lots of characters (with my NEW FOUND GUITAR)!

MY ALLEY GUITAR

My neighbor found this guitar in the alley behind our downtown high-rise. It was thick with acrylic paint and mud. I scraped off the paint (hence the unusual design from the stains), attached new strings, and voila! This acoustic Yamaha is now my busking guitar! 

ACCORDION BUSKER, JOHN, JUST HAD TO STRUM MY GUITAR
DURING THE CHANGING OF THE GUARD!

OFTENTIMES GIG-MATE, DEVON, AND DAUGHTER, IRIS

FORMER COLLEAGUE, BRIAN, AND SON

FORMER GIG-MATES, JAY AND BOND

MEETING NEW FRIENDS WHILE BUSKING

EVERYONE LOVES MY NEW FOUND GUITAR!

MY FRIEND, AMAR

Also this summer, I just had to get the lead out!

ANGELS FROM TORONTO!

A CALGARIAN TWIN
THE OTHER CALGARIAN TWIN
A HEAVY HAULER FROM HINTON, ALBERTA


THE HEAVY HAULER'S BETTER HALF 


ROBIN'S DOG



And, of course, I had to organize the odd gig or two or three!

BIG GIG COMING UP AT THE CURE, DOWNTOWN REGINA

YES! 

At 73 years of age I am still MOONLIGHTING AS A VAMPIRE and in doing so, makes for a seemingly ENDLESS SUMMER!

In the meanwhile, fall, the season of colors, including hues of blue and red this year, is fast coming. 

And speaking of which: 

"Then shall the fall further the flight in me" (George Herbert, Easter Wings.)

Maybe.

WEIRD







No comments:

Post a Comment