Tuesday, May 28, 2024

MAY 31ST: STILL STANDIN' TALL!

SELF-PORTRAIT
Birthdays are ubiquitous, and this Friday, May 31st will mark just another narcissistic excuse to surround myself with family and maybe a couple of close friends to celebrate my birthday. But at long last, I finally know not to celebrate too loud, because the attention is undeserved. Being on public display when I have accomplished something is fun -- garnering attention just because 73 years ago this last day in May I was born to die, is certainly not worthy of public applause!

May 31st marks the beginning of my life on Earth. Expressing this, I do not mean to exclude any humanoids having past lives elsewhere, or any Martians or other extra-terrestrials who happen to be reading this blog entry! (Everyone, please note that for literary style and clarity, I shall consider “birthday” and “birthday celebration” to be synonymous whenever mentioned in this essay.)

May 31st is an acknowledgement that I am still hale and hardy and still standing! Factoid: A significant number of my peers, with whom I have been very close over the years, are not doing so hot. Fortunately, I am still weightlifting and long-distance running and hiking and downhill skiing and practicing martial arts.

May 31st seems a fitting time for reflection (regarding my self-improvement) and introspection (regarding my self-understanding).

Reflection: I have certainly cavernous space in my behavior for self-improvement, though just maintaining my personal status quo seems a constant struggle. Even so, if given the opportunity for a life rescript, I would probably pass. Currently, I am clinging to the notion that “It’s never too late to be what you might have been” (George Elliot).  Birthdays beget change, and I’ve still lots of time to become what I might have been – a WRITER!

Introspection: Each year brings more philosophical insight about my being, and my being here is certainly no fault of my own. Birthdays beget change, but for me at my age, birthdays also beget existential dread. YES, I am delighted to exist, but NO, I do not know where I am from, nor where I am going.

Factoid: Marching in my CHAUCERIAN PARADE this coming Friday are a few of my birthday bros who, too, had no say in the matter. Another factoid: All these men on parade know of one another, but nary a one knows of me. The only time I will ever appear alongside any of these guys, is when I am the author!


This Friday, HAPPY BIRTHDAY to CLINT EASTWOOD 93 years old, 6’4”. Loved you as Rowdy in RAWHIDE but BRONCO BILLY is still my favorite Clint movie.

 


This Friday, HAPPY BIRTHDAY to JOE NAMATH, 80 years old, 6’2”.


BROADWAY JOE! You and your white cleats!

This Friday, HAPPY BIRTHDAY to TOM BERENGER 74 years old, 5’11”.

Thomas Beckett was is the toughest character in any movie I have seen. He was great in EDDY AND THE CRUISERS, but in that SNIPER movie?! Wow!


This Friday, HAPPY BIRTHDAY to COLIN FARRELL, 47 years old, 5’10”.

John Sugar is the most baronial and coolest private eye since Efrem Zimbalist Jr. in 77 Sunset Strip. I must retract: John Sugar was the coolest, until he turned out to be an alien! Ouch!


YES. I know these birthday bros I have listed are perceived tough guys. Yes. I know their lives and my life are incommensurable. Yes. I know that bracketing these men with me in my blog entry today and comparing our physical statures was rather madcap.

But coming this Friday, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO INSECURE ME, 73 years old, 6’1”.


Seventy-three years ago this last day in May, I was born to die. Not as of late, have I decided to become immortal. So far so good!

MADCAP INDEED!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment