Sunday, December 3, 2017

LIFE IS A CODDIWOMPLE: A ROAD OF EXISTENTIAL DREAD



DRAWING VAUGHN, MY COLLEAGUE, IN TEN MINUTES!


























CODDIWOMPLE ... to travel in a purposeful manner towards a vague destination.

My desired vague destination is to be a planetary (guitar, didgeridoo, portrait) busker.  Meanwhile back at the ranch, my last specific destination to date has been:
"Another special edition of WEDNESDAY NIGHT FOLK NIGHT at the Bushwakker!  Veteran Regina wordsmith, Neil Child, kicks off the LATE LATE AUTUMN SINGER/SONGWRITER SHOWCASE.  Enjoy veteran and up-and-coming performers until 10:30 tonight!"
(Bushwaaker Brewpub Wakker Weekly)

How I got to be strumming and singing on that Bushwakker stage, en route to my vague destiny, is the theme of today’s blog entry.

SELF AT BUSHWAKKERS THIS PAST WEDNESDAY
Abraham Maslow’s theory of Hierarchy of Needs insisted that ideally we are all striving for self-actualization.  Self-actualization, supposedly according to Maslow, is everyone’s life goal, but to get there is now regarded as regrettably and practically unattainable.  

Different personality types take different approaches; this means different people traveling different life paths.  According to Grant H. Brenner (8 Paths in Life, December 3rd, 2017) each of us can venture down one or more of several options.  I’m not a “journey” metaphor fan, but the “path” metaphor is apropos enough to suspend me as a believer, for at least as long as the length of this essay.

A number of blinks ago I was definitely on Brenner’s NOT OVERTHINKING IT path, but not anymore.  When we were raising children I had no choice to not overthink anything.  I was always in a buzz mode, twenty minutes to mow the lawn between soccer practices for example.  When we were raising our kids I had only time to model behavior and pay the bills, evolution at its finest, enjoying our children's attachments to me before they detached as adults.  Those days are past and I’ve loads of time to overthink anything I do.

Another tactic, according to Brenner, is the INTUITIVE APPROACH.  Trusting my gut has never worked for me, I’ve always been too impulsive.  If I were to follow my intuition I’d be hopscotching vertically and horizontally, backwards and forwards.  Perhaps at my current age I’d be more trustworthy toward myself, but also at my current age I know that ev’rything does not come up roseate.   Intuitiveness is not my approach to wherever I’m going.

COMMAND-AND-CONTROL is another of Brenner’s suggestions.  Humans do tend to determine time and events in linear fashion and so taking command, setting goals and dates and ticking these off as we go does make a certain military sense.  I’m not rock-ribbed enough for this.  And for those that are should be watching out for the inevitable wild cards yet to be dealt.

COLLECTIVE IDENTITY is another route toward destiny.  Going with the flow is always the better bet.  And with little sacrifice, one can always pay for the more privileged but still popular toll road, which is the best bet.  Following opinion is surely the drive of least resistance.  Social conformity is safe, safe, safe but at the end of road one could be sorry, sorry, and sorrier with regret.

AUTHENTICITY another of Brenner’s suggested paths.  On this path, passion would be the highlight.  Authenticity requires resistance from all other persons and trails.  Authenticity requires reflection, introspection, and heroic protagonists.  There are certain character prerequisites to travel the path of Authenticity, gregariousness and gumption to list just two.  The path of Authenticity means to ride off into the sunset alone, having an above average social intelligence and the necessary practical survival skills to do battle with anything that may confront by happen-chance.    

Just as we tend to determine events and time in linear fashion, we tend to bracket notions of philosophy into groups such as those mentioned above.  Authoritarian or anthophilous, any group-to-group comparisons always hide the person-to-person contrasts, not only between the groups, but among each group’s members. 

Whether you believe in fate (out of your control) or destiny (what you are designed to do) or karma (effect from cause) or calling (an inner urge) or chance (a range random possibilities) … 

Life is truly a delusional and self-designed coddiwomple, and all actions therein merely coping mechanisms for the existential dread ever pestering each of us.

And as I coddiwomple along the trail toward my imagined planetary-busker destiny to avoid my constant life theme of existential dread, I shall continue to be SCRUBBING THE BUSHWAKKER DECKS WITH BOWS OF HOLY! to this week’s marchers in my CHAUCERIAN PARADE, those guitar-slingers who shared the stage with me at the Bushwaaker Brewpub.

REGAN AND JADON
TRENT
TOM
KATIE 





JOHN AND BRANDON











No comments:

Post a Comment