Tuesday, December 11, 2018

TRAVEL WRITING: A PLANETARY BUSKING ETHNOGRAPHY


HARVEY'S LAST DAY AT THE YMCA

Those who read this blog on a regular basis know that I am a wannabee planetary busker.  And so far so good I am in that regard (I guess).  I’ve busked with my guitar and I’ve busked with my pencil on streets in Holland, Ireland, Africa, and of course, Canada.  Other countries I have travelled, but have only thrummed and drawn in these mentioned.

Reflecting on my yearning to be a planetary busker, I’ve decided to become a travel writer.    

Factoid: I’m totally biddable.

“How to become a travel writer (seriously)” according to Julie Schwietert (May 22, 2013), offers the following pointers: redefine the genre, start a blog, travel, look for stories everywhere, develop other relevant skills, avoid clichés, and commit to the craft.

  • Redefining the genre … I believe that my snappy self-title of planetary busker will somewhat redefine the travel-writing genre in this mercenary endeavor.

  • Start a blog … Because this blog that you are reading is already designed to offer commentary on any topic that is related to human behavior, my writing of pieces on planetary busking will not be a stretch.

  • Travel … Hmmm.  My traveling has no doubt fomented my urge to be a travel writer.  And at an inchmeal tempo, I am at least ready and set to go out of the starting blocks.  Factoid: I’m hoping to delay my mental and physical infirmities until I’ve crossed the finish line – this metaphor, I know, is a juxtaposition. 

  • Look for stories everywhere … I know from my hypnotherapy practice that everyone has a story to tell.  Whenever I am portrait busking on some sidewalk or in some park, everybody wants to tell me their story.  Rather than look for stories, I will simply listen to the stories.

  • Develop other relevant skills … I know this piece of advice is referring specifically to photography, but what the hell, I can draw people’s faces. Drawing faces will suffice to help solicit stories from the locals residing in the countries I am travelling.

  • Avoid clichés … I loathe clichés unless they are employed for parody.  To describe travel places as best-kept secret, sun-drenched, and breathtaking are breathtakingly nauseating.

  • Commit to the craft … I do believe my contributing essays to this blog on a regular basis will serve as any writing credentials apposite for the craft of travel-writing.

As a matter of factoid:  On this very blog you are presently reading, two pieces in particular on planetary busking and travel-writing come to mind: THREE CITIES: THREE GUITARS (August 10, 2014) and SKETCHES OF MARRAKECH (April 29, 2017).

In THREE CITIES: THREE GUITARS I wrote about my guitar busking in Amsterdam, Limerick, and Dublin.  In Amsterdam I borrowed a guitar from Alina, a Russian studying in Holland.  In Limerick I borrowed a guitar from Michael, an English hypnotherapist having a practice in Limerick.  And in Dublin I borrowed a guitar from Ivica and Peter, buskers from Slovakia.

ALINA
MICHAEL
IVICA AND PETER

Alina now resides in Australia.  Michael is still mesmerizing clients in Limerick.  Ivica and Peter are now married with children and back in Slovakia.

THE BEST WEDDING
In SKETCHES IN MARRAKESH I took to the streets with my pencil and sketchpad.  Drawing draws a crowd.  Once I started drawing, there was always a line-up of people wanted me to pencil their portraits.  My last three days in Marrakesh I drew approximately fifty faces.   






DRAWING DOES DRAW A CROWD!
As an ethnographic participant-observer ... 
I shall explore certain cultural phenomena, writing and re-telling those stories offered by my consumers.



No comments:

Post a Comment