Monday, November 26, 2018

BLUE HAIRS AND BLUE ZONES: LIVE LONG AND PULCHRITUDINOUS


TYSON (SOUND GUY EXTRAORDINAIRE) AT B-SHARP

Grains and greens and nuts and beans,
And sweet potatoes in between
Long walks.

Old age can signal grumpiness and lethargy and frailty and dementia. Old age means blue hair, and blue-hairs are known for their gatherings at either Swiss Chalet or Denny’s. Old age means driving your car down the highway noticeably slower than the speed limit and with the left turning signal blinking and blinking and blinking. Old age means holding up the line in the grocery store sorting through loose change and coupons and then quarrelling with the clerk over the price of a can of corn. Old age means having the strange social ability to frustrate family and neighbours and friends on any given day over any given selfish thing.  Being a senior citizen has rather negative connotations and yet knowing this crux … I want to become one.

I want to become one because I want to live as long as I can.  I do not want to die.  I am not yet prepared to meet my maker, which is quite strange considering I am the quintessential existentialist. I have already met my maker/s, my parents, and both are dead (and gone).  Oh sure, according to current physicists, their energy is still orbulating among the trees in the forests and among the fishes in the seas of the universe, but their human essence and sentience extinguished.  

I do want to live a long, long life and to accomplish such I’ve read a bit on the subject.  It just so happens that on our planet there are five longevity hotspots, having the highest concentration of centenarians, all of whom are enjoying life in a healthy fashion.  These five regions, Sardinia (Italy), Okinawa (Japan), Loma Linda (California), Nicoya Peninsula (Costa Rica), and Ikaria (Greece) are known as the Blue Zones.  And they are known as the Blue Zones only because Dan Buettner, trade marker of the Blue Zones, circled them on the map with a blue marker when he was researching and identifying them.

Without any collusion amongst any of the peoples of these regions, all five Blue Zones inhabitants have things in common with regard to diet and exercise.

Grains and greens and nuts and beans,
And sweet potatoes in between
Long walks.

Notez bien que:  It could be the centenarians of these regions do indulge other foodstuffs and such as alcohol, meat, and fruit, and other exercise such as lifting weights, but grains and greens, and nuts and beans, and sweet potatoes in between long walks are the common intake and exercise restrictions.

I am a Blue Zone fan and attempt on a daily basis to replicate their diet, so much so that I read several articles on the five Blue Zones and created this skinny of commonalities put these to poem:
  
Grains and greens and nuts and beans,
And sweet potatoes in between
Long walks … I wrote it and recite it (often).

Now to busking:  Any busker worth his weight (pun intended) can easily follow this Blue Zone diet.  Grains can be gotten from any whole or ancient grain cold cereal.

Raw fruit and vegetable are always plentiful at farmers’ markets, a common pitch for buskers.


Peanuts and peanut butter is cheap and easy to eat on the go, and so are cans of beans cheap and easy to eat.  Besides a guitar and harmonica, and/or didgeridoo, or a pencil and sketchpad, a can opener and spoon are really the only essential tools, necessary to be a busker.

Sweet potatoes are a bit more complicated and I’ve not a real appetite for them, unless they are mashed and smothered in golden melting butter and coarse black pepper.

Long walks are commonplace for most members the buskerhood, as they move from street pitch to street pitch.

MY KIND OF VACATION

Grains and greens and nuts and beans,
And sweet potatoes in between
Long walks.

Now to my busking.  In wintertime portrait busking is the way for me to go.  I have fancied myself as a brutto tempo busker but in doing so I know I am delusional.  I hate thrumming in the cold (but could love it if it were profitable).  From the economy of time and money, busking in winter is not worth the strum or the drone or the draw.

In wintertime I reside in the snowbank-blue Canadian sastrugi.  When I become a blue hair I will not golf my winters away in Arizona, nor will I bask and imbibe on some corporate Mexican beach in Puerto Vallarta.   

Rather, I will continue to fritter as a planetary busker, biding my time to take long walks and dine as a blue hair in a Blue Zone!


 





These above portraits were drawn by my good friend, DUSTIN RITTER.  (GOOGLE him:)
Dustin is a great guitar and harmonica guy and ... an excellent portrait artist!


No comments:

Post a Comment