Sunday, January 14, 2018

LIFE COULD BE A DREAM: A PHOTO ESSAY FROM A PLANETARY BUSKER



QUINTESSENTIAL CANADIAN BUSKERS 










































Last summer, Baron and I stopped to busk at every TIM HORTONS betwixt Fernie, British Columbia and Regina, Saskatchewan.  We really are quintessential Canadian buskers!

Busking is a constant theme of mine.  My delusional self fancies that I am plodding along as a planetary busker, and that my guitar and didge and mechanical pencil can only lead to a life of happiness and prosperity.  

As a writer there are story lines always racing in my brain.  What theme shall I choose for my blog?  What song do I need to compose? What do I really want to be when I grow up?  As I toil today with tireless pen, my thoughts are set in Amsterdam, my destination in just two more sleeps.

Preparing for Amsterdam, I'm dreaming of other places I've been.  Because so, I've decided to post some pictures of my past other-country busking experiences.  And as I post I am thinking my planetary busker dreams are not so delusional!     

AT DAM SQUARE WITH ROQUE ANDRES
A great story:  I was guitar busking at DAM SQUARE in Amsterdam and ROQUE ANDRES comes along.  This was Roque's first ever trip to Europe.  This was Roque's first ever step into Amsterdam.  Roque said he left the train station and walked straight over to the Dam.  I happened to be the first person he saw.  I happened to be his grade 10 English Literature teacher years ago in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada!

ALINA
Busking at Dam Square I had borrowed a guitar from ALINA, a singer-songwriter from Russia.  In return for her generosity I drew her portrait!

BUSKING AT THE MILK MARKET IN LIMERICK, IRELAND

MICHAEL PAYNE, THE MOST FAMOUS HYPNOTHERAPIST
I borrowed Michael's guitar for a few days busking in Limerick Ireland.  Michael is renowned hypnotherapist in Limerick.  In return for offering me his guitar and giving me invaluable advice on my private hypnotherapy practice, I drew his portrait, of course!

TEMPLE BAR IN DUBLIN
IVICKA AND PETER, SLOVAKIAN BUSKERS IN IRELAND
Busking at the TEMPLE BAR in Dublin I borrowed Peter's guitar and amplifier.  He and Ivicka were being shoo'ed away by one of the vendors and it happened that I asked to borrow his guitar at this perfect time.  "As long as you take care of my amp, too," he said.

Peter and Ivicka, the Slovakian duo, were really a popular band, GREMMY, from Slovakia.  Ivicka and Peter stayed a couple years, after this photo, to keep busking in Ireland.  At present they are back in Slovakia, newly married, and with a bouncing newborn baby boy, Steven.

AT THE ITALIAN STAR DELI IN REGINA, SK
One of my favorite buskspots, THE ITALIAN STAR DELI, is but a three minute walk from where I live.  On this particular Saturday, CARLO, owner and manager, asked me to busk whilst free barbequed ITALIAN STAR SIRLOIN BEEF BURGERS  were offered to every customer coming into the store.

REVELSTOKE, BC
Once upon a time on a ROCKY MOUNTAIN vacation, I was busking in Revelstoke, British Columbia.  It just so happened that the entire main street was blocked off for a folk concert.  And it just so happened that the organizers of this folk concert asked me to come on stage and perform one set of songs, which I did, for a couple hundred people seated in the audience!

WASCANA PARK
Baron, my favorite drummer-busker, often joins me didge busking.  Here we are on a hot summer day, blowing our didgeridoos along the walking path in WASCANA PARK, REGINA SK.

BRUTTO TEMPO BUSKERS
Baron and I have set up in rather extreme cold conditions.  This busking day at the VALUE VILLAGE MALL was one of those days.  Baron is a trooper.  And like I stated at the top of this blog, I believe we really are quintessential Canadian buskers!

MARRAKESH SQUARE
Busking in Marrakesh Square with a guitar and amplifier I borrowed from Mohammad, an African busker who was passing through Morocco. 

MOHAMMAD
I gladly drew MOHAMMAD'S portrait for lending me his busking equipment!

My recurring dream is to actually be a planetary busker.  I've all the accoutrements and attitude to strum and thrum with a guitar, or drone with a didge, or draw portraits with a pencil and sketch pad.  (After my inchmeal progression of practices and performances for more than a decade, I have become busker proficient in all of the above.)

Whenever I return from buskation, be it from the Rocky Mountains in British Columbia, the green and rolling hills of Ireland, the rugged Alps in France, or the deserts of Morocco, I find myself basking in the abendrot of just being there, wherever there happened to be.

At 66 years of age I am often of thought that this planetary busking has to begin before my inevitable slimsy and infirmity set in.  I do not want the remainder of my years spent in melancholia, especially when I know that even a middling street performance of busking on my part, with any of the above mentioned instruments, will suffice for my mensurable happiness.

At 66 years of age I have learned, finally, that life in general is operose.  

At 66 years of age I have also learned that all events and things in life are transitory. 

At 66 years of age I have learned that life experiences can range from treacly to tart, and that only by particular self-design, can there be stirring and stunning flavors in between!

I've just one person marching (pedaling rather) in my CHAUCERIAN PARADE this week, Carol, my wife of 38 years. 

CAROL BIKING THE ROCKY MOUNTAIN LEGACY TRAIL

This is a picture when Carol and I biked and hiked the Rocky Mountain Legacy Trail from Canmore to Banff and back to Canmore.  Carol loves biking and hiking.  Actually, Carol and I have hiked several mountains in and out of Canada.  Hiking with Carol is one non-busking example of those self-designed stirring and stunning flavors that add spice to my life. 


No comments:

Post a Comment