Friday, November 11, 2016

MY SECRET LIFE: COOL HAND NEIL




THE POPPY GIVEN

“Yours is the first poppy I’ve seen this season, “I commented one week ago to an elderly and doddering little lady wrapped in long coat making her way past me into the Value Village Mall.  An hour or so later, a younger lady came up to me and presented that same poppy.  “My mother asked me to give you this,” she said, “for your beautiful music.”

“Cool.  Please thank her very much for me,” I replied.

(That poppy pictured above was the one given, and for any poppy formalists reading this blog ... "It is better to wear a poppy with a Canadian flag in the center than not wear a poppy at all," the LEGION states in its guidelines for poppy use.)

COOL, or the concept thereof, is the bellwether of this blog entry.  Hmmm … Indulging in a little introspection, my idea of COOL is either a stalking horse on my vanilla life or the psychological projective of a guy I really want to become.  FACTOID:  In my busking alterity I am Steve McQueen; I am Timothy Olyphant; I am Bobby Orr; I am the combination of Mic Christopher and Glen Hansard; I am Ian Tyson. 

COOL HAND NEIL

COOL BARON
  •  STEVE MCQUEEN IN BULLITT
BULLITT IN HIS MUSTANG

So COOL on that silver screen is Lieutenant Detective, Frank Bullitt (Steve McQueen)  in that classic car chase, eleven minutes of Steve in his 1968 Mustang GT chasing the bad guys in their 1968 Dodge Charger R/T up and down the streets of San Francisco.  In actuality, the speeds of both cars during this filming were, at times, 110 miles per hour.

Hmmm … Steve McQueen always personified quintessential COOL.
  • TIMOTHY OLYPHANT IN JUSTIFIED


Deputy U.S. Marshal, Raylan Givens (Timothy Olyphant), is a gunslinger.  With his lightning fast draw and John Wayne strut in this modern day Kentucky western, Raylan epitomizes COOL.
Justified, in my buckaroo opinion, is the best show to watch on television.
  • BOBBY ORR WITH THE BOSTON BRUINS


During the 70’s Bobby Orr (Boston Bruins #4) used his speed, play-making, and scoring abilities to become the best hockey player on the planet.  Bobby revolutionized the position of defense in the NHL.  Not only did Bobby win the scoring titles, he was also recognized as the toughest player in the league. 

I wear Boston NHL jersey #4 during my pond hockey evenings in winter (and on my winter morning runs) because … I can be COOL too.
  • MIC CHRISTOPHER AND GLEN HANSARD BUSKING



Irish buskers, Mic Christopher and Glen Hansard, left a thousand songs and a thousand guitar strings on the streets of Dublin during the 90’s.  Mic and Glen doing “You Ain’t Going Nowhere” on Grafton Street in the Temple Bar District in Dublin, is my all-time favorite so COOL busking video.  On buskation in Ireland a few years ago, I made sure Grafton Street was one of my buskspots!
Mic passed away 14 years ago – he slipped on a stair causing a brain injury and died just days later.  Glen is still alive and well, strumming and singing, even winning an Oscar for Best Song in 2008.
  • IAN TYSON  


Canadian singer-songwriter, Ian Tyson, is best known for his song, “Four Strong Winds,” billed as the greatest Canadian song ever written.  Ian is a real cowboy, his first shot at fame in the 60’s as a member of the folk duo, Ian and Sylvia. 

Over the years I’ve seen Ian perform live few times, including a few weeks ago when he’d just turned 83.  Since the 60’s, Ian has always been a very COOL guitar guy.

The quiddity of these characters is COOL.  

COOL as the crux … Is this theme too esoteric?  Is my life so staid; therefore, so quixotic?
Why do my Annie Oakley tickets to COOLNESS rely on such imaginary personae?

As a busker (and business person) I tend to dress for success, which really means looking a bit grungy with my shock of messy hair, one day’s beard growth, white t or white collared shirt, faded blue jeans, and black work boots.  Rarely do I wear a hat; oftentimes I wear shades.  Donning a cowboy hat or showing off some tattooed skin would add a little edge but … I’m most comfortable hatless and I’m not into tattoos – I’M JUST THAT COOL.


Marching this week in my CHAUCERIAN PARADE:

COLBY WILLIAMS, my best friend, is currently playing for the HERSHEY BEARS in the American Hockey League.  Just checking the team stats this morning, Colby is leading his team in points and the plus/minus.

And … I’m back to drawing dogs …



TWO DOG PORTRAITS FOR MY FRIEND, KEVIN
AT THE REMEMBRANCE CEREMONY THIS MORNING
MARCHING OF THE FLAGS
PLACING OUR POPPIES

No comments:

Post a Comment