Wednesday, October 12, 2022

THE STAGE IS SET: THE SELF-ACTUALIZATION OF A BUSKER

 

SELF AND MOHAMMAD BUSKING IN MARRAKESH

SELF-ACTUALIZATION, in my circles, is always about Abraham Maslow’s HIERARCHY OF NEEDS, a theory of human motivation.  Maslow, an American psychologist, presented a pyramid of needs for personal growth, the foundation being the physiological need of shelter, food, and water, and the peak being the self-actualized achievement of self-fulfillment.  Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs is a theoretical psychological assessment tool to measure what motivates human behavior.  But this is a blog about the psychology of busking, and therefore, I have modified Maslow’s theory to create a singer-songwriter performance pyramid of needs.

And so, to achieve SELF-ACTUALIZATION as a singer-songwriting busker, there are three stages (pun intended) to my Maslow modified HIERARCHY OF NEEDS on the continuum to achieve this:  GIGS (the beginning), OPEN MICS (the middle), BUSKING (actualized end). The first stages, Gigs and Open Mics, are the essential platforms to achieve singer-songwriter self-actualization.  Hmmm and indeed.  Regarding the eddy of entertainment industry, in the public eye the group think is that gigs are of the highest achievement, while those of us who are still out busking can be bracketed as undiscovered beggars with guitars.  In my experiences just the reverse is true. Over the last couple decades, I do know (for me) that gigging is straight forward and facile, whereas busking is strenuous and grinding.  

  • GIGS

Anybody who can strum and carry a tune can (eventually) get a gig.  To get a gig one needs only to establish a likeable stage presence, while having the singing chops and strumming skills necessary for a stage strut.  Wannabee giggers may have to get their start strumming and singing at birthday parties and retirement communities, and getting bigger gigs, is simply a matter of practice, practice, practice and getting out there more, more, and more. It is a simple formula.  The better you get the more opportunities you get.

I have had paid gigs fundraising dinners, garden parties, and bars.  (Factoid: I have never done a birthday party.) Of these example venues, bars are the best!  There is a bar in my city, the BUSHWAKKER BREWPUB, where I have performed four times a year for the last ten years.  Singing original songs on the Bushwakker stage is always a privilege and always a load of fun!  Bushwakker Wednesday nights are “folk” nights, and for the most part, on Wednesdays the place is packed with the “folksters.”

To keep such a gig going on a regular basis, I have not been complacent.  Once I have the playlist practiced next to perfection, my actual ninety-minute performance, including the introductory and in-between song and closing banter have become a rather perfunctory production.

Those patrons who are there for the folk songs try to seat themselves as close to the stage as possible.  Other patrons, who happen to be like incidental tourists, who are there for the delicious cuisine and the craft beers, can be seated near and far and everywhere between. 

This Bushwakker bar crowd is never threatening.  On stage I conscientiously appeal directly to those sipping right ‘neath the stage, while sometimes acknowledging those amongst the steady drone and murmurings in the backdrop.

THE FLOWER STREET CAFE $125 PER PLATE FUNDRAISER DINNER GIG

  • OPEN MICS

Open mics offer much more angst than paid gigs.  Performing at open mics takes a Shure load (pun intended) of confidence. At an open mic the crowd is always raucously supportive, while taking close heed to the performers.  I say raucously because oftentimes there is standing room only at my favorite open mic haunt, THE CURE, in downtown Regina.  Every member of that raucous Cure crowd will clap and cheer for every performer no matter the quality of the material being delivered from the stage.  An open mic is the perfect place for performers to experiment with new material for an empathic and very friendly audience.

THE CURE offers OPEN MIC night every Monday evening from 8:00 – 10:00 p.m., and I am one of the regular performers. The Cure Open Mic is a mixture of musicians and stand-up comedians.  All potential performers vying for the stage put their name into one of three hats, the musicians’ hat, the stand-up comedy hat, and the miscellaneous and overflow hat.  I always arrive early and almost always get to perform in the first batch of musicians.  Musicians are allowed two songs; stand-up comedians are allowed three to five minutes.

At The Cure (and every place elsewhere actually) I am known for thrumming only original songs. Sometimes at The Cure open mic, I bring my banjo and frail traditional American folk ballads, Tom Dooley and Worried Man Blues, being two examples. 

Not-so-strangely, the musicians tend to visit other musicians, the comedians tend to visit other comedians during those open mic evenings.  I have been going to The Cure long enough now to be recognized and engage in phatic chat with lots the regular performers of musicians and stand-ups.  Over time at The Cure open mics, we have all become familiar strangers, so to speak.  And sometimes these open mic familiar strangers even become gig-mates, Abbey and Jay (pictured below), being just two current examples.

ABBEY AT THE CURE OPEN MIC

JAY AT THE CURE OPEN MIC

TROY AT THE CURE OPEN MIC

  • BUSKING

Once a performer can manage gigs and survive open mics, that same performer could now be ready for the ultimate challenge, BUSKING.  There is nothing quite like wandering with purpose into an unfamiliar setting to strum and sing for an unpredictable passer-by crowd.  When on a busk, every person who walks by is a wild card.  I repeat:  Every person who walks by is a wild card.

Over the years I have had people yell in my face in derogatory fashion.  Over the years I have had people philosophically challenge me on my purpose in life and practically command me to get a real job.  Over the years I have had people try to steal money from my open guitar case.  Over the years I have had merchants shoo me away.  And just one time, over the years, I had a guy take a swing at me.

Busking is not for the meek.  Busking is for the brave.

Lastly, over the years I have met many, many people over many, many performances.  Some of whom I have met, are regulars, when I am booked into a gig at the Bushwakker Brewpub for example.  At The Cure open mic, I am among a friendly and supportive community of musicians and stand-ups, who over time become familiar strangers and even, future gig-mates.  (My last gig at The Cure I recruited three singer-songwriters who were regulars at The Cure Open Mic, and the person that I chose to run the door, was a regular Cure Open Mic hip-hop performer.)  Busking, especially in Regina because I tend to play the same three haunts of Value Village, Italian Star Deli, and Shoppers on Broad, I have repeat customers at the front door of each of these venues.

Paid gigs usually last a couple hours, and now for my security blanket, I attach a Samsung tablet to my microphone stand.  This tablet has my entire playlist of original songs, complete with the lyrics and chords, literally at my fingertips.  (I do believe my inconspicuous tablet has enhanced the quality of my performance.  I know longer play my original songs seemingly at random, or in a manner for which I cannot always remember.)

At an open mic it is relatively simple to memorize just the two songs allowed.  And I must confess, that putting in the time and practice to focus on just two songs for the week, has really improved my stage delivery of those songs.  The quality and personal value of presenting two songs and then another two songs and then another two songs, one week at a time at an open mic every Monday night for a year cannot be ignored.

Weather is the only real enemy of busking.  Gigs and open mics typically take place in a temperature-controlled environment, whereas busking always take place in a never-controlled environment.  I am a fair- weather busker – I am not a brutto tempo busker! Never do I busk in cold or windy weather.  I do sometimes busk in wet weather, but only with my metal pot six-string banjo.

When my world is windless and the rays of the sun are shining brightly upon me, while I am thrumming and humming in a fresh destination standing in front of my guitar case brimming with the bread and honey of paper bills and golden coins, I do feel as though I am a self-actualized human being.  

Hmmm …

I must mention that even among fellow guitarists and singer-songwriters, performing at gigs and open mics is a normative behavior, but busking is truly idiosyncratic. And not-so-strangely then, these beautiful but very brief busking hours of my busking delusional brilliance are the result of years and years of gigs and open mics. 

My nidus for the love of busking began on the stages of gigs and open mics, and I will continue to perform on these stages in order to foster the quality of my busking for today and for tomorrow, too.

SELF BUSKING AT THANKSGIVING


 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment