Wednesday, January 20, 2021

THANKS FOR THE MEMORY: SEARCHING FOR ROB MARKEL

I am currently writing the CANADIAN HYPNOTHERAPY ASSOCIATION MASTER CLINICAL EXAMINATION (see my website: www.neilchildhypnotherapy.com) and a few of the questions are related to the human states of consciousness and unconsciousness. From reading certain writings and having discussions with other hypnotherapists, most professionals in the industry seem to have very strong views on these states and even include them in their marketing spiels.  However, as for my own thoughts, I believe that whatever I know but am NOT thinking about is lies in my unconsciousness.  And thus, whatever and only what I am at PRESENT thinking about, is my consciousness.  So whenever I have clients coming to me for help in their Memory Recall, together we (client and self) are actually bringing to mind something from my clients’ unconsciousness to their consciousness, to uncover events that have been hidden somewhere in parts of the brain, the hippocampus for the event, the amygdala for the emotion related to the event.

Anyway, I did a quick-but-not-so-scientific self-experiment this morning on this very topic of memory recall. Here’s how it went: I decided to think back thirty years and recall some of the teachers I interned with in the English Department at Balfour Collegiate in Regina SK.  First to mind came the face of a thirty-something blond-haired male who was six feet tall, wore black horn-rimmed glasses, dressed in semi-casual fashion, and was an awesome teacher of English literature.  I interned with this master teacher for approximately one month.  But I could not remember his name.

And so that is where my brain was at for about an hour.  Trying to remember his name.  Hmmm … finally after a half-hour I remembered that his first name was Bob … or Robert … until finally, Rob!  But the fog still enveloped his surname.  I thought and I thought and I thought until finally … Markel!  Yes!  Rob Markel! Not-so-strangely, I thought of Rob Markel only by thinking and thinking and thinking of his image, or rather mostly his visage, for like I said, about an hour.  And not-so-strangely, I did not seek a hypnotherapist for my memory recall.  Hmmm … Wait a minute!  Yes, I did!  I sought myself!

I’ve studied Psychology for 30 years and actually taught university Psychology classes for 22 years, and remarkably yet regretfully, I know very little about consciousness and unconsciousness and memory and storage compartments in the brain.  I know only that I have an excellent record with clients and their Memory Recall in my private hypnotherapy practice. Memory Recall is certainly one of my therapy strengths.  Actually, it could be my greatest therapy strength!

Meanwhile back at the CANADIAN HYPNOTHERAPY ASSOCIATION MASTER CLINICAL EXAMINATION …

I’m guessing that I have recovered Rob Markel from my unconsciousness.  Now that I’m writing about Rob Markel, he is completely in my consciousness.  And this is proof that Rob Markel has been somewhere in my brain the whole while since I met him.  All I had to do was think and think and think about him and his name eventually surfaced.  (Remembering a person’s name can oftentimes be very hard-thinking work and can be very frustrating and sometimes can be very socially debilitating … especially when you are introducing someone in the flesh and you’ve forgotten the name in that very moment!  We’ve all been there.)

Keeping with this memory oneversation of mine, I had issued a self-mand, a command given to oneself, as coined by psychologist, B.F. Skinner, to include my CHAUCERIAN PARADE in this blog entry.  Marching in my Chaucerian Parade are the people, pooches, and photos from events and ideas this past week. 

My coiffure, Rachel, posted a picture of her little guy, Sullivan, on Instagram. Always seeking opportunities to practice my drawing skills during this corona-virus diapause from vis-à-vis portrait sketching on the street …


 

Judging by the photos presented by my followers on Instagram …

DOGS AND CATS ARE PEOPLE TOO!

This pooch belongs to my long-time (15 years in fact) Muay Thai friend, Jared.  Jared and I have shared four gyms to date, three Muay Thai and one a regular weight-training place.  Jared is a professional MMA fighter; whereas, I’m still training to never be one …

Matt is the maitre d’ of the martial arts gym, Ascendant.  Matt, a highly skilled Muay Thai pugilist, is the corona-virus screener for anyone entering the premises.  This is Matt’s dog … 


Sean, one of the top-ranked MMA fighters in Canada, is the owner and operator of Ascendant, the best and most complete martial arts gym in Regina SK CANADA.  This is his dad’s dog …


Professing always to be brutto tempo busker, I've decided to change my cold-weather busking strategy.

 

If I’m to be a brutto tempo busker, it will not be with a guitar or sketchpad.  There is no cold comfort in frailing a banjo with frozen fingers on a street corner in freezing temperatures, or drawing someone’s cold blue face with an ice-cold hand in the frosty air of wintertime.   Blowing my didgeridoo while wearing mittens shall be the perfect solution to becoming a brutto tempo busker.  My favourite busking partner, Baron, and I have double-didged it several times over the years! 

My friend, Cathy, is an excellent photographer, having her pictures locally and nationally published.  As much as I, Cathy has great love for Wascana Park, the second largest urban park in North America, situated smack in the middle of our home city, Regina SK CANADA.


 

 
WASCANA GEESE


 

                                                        WASCANA CHICKADEE

 


                                                               WASCANA TOTEM

And to close this blog with a tacky metaphor but tasteful photo … Cathy’s WASCANA SUNSET


 

                                                                

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment