Thursday, September 29, 2016

AUTUMN LEAVES MUST FALL: DOOIN' WINTER



DIDGE DUO
Indeed, I am still a neophyte when it comes to didgeridooin’.  I know where to busk and I know how to busk; I just don’t have yet that virtuoso playing style on my didge.

Reflecting as I type, my busking life represents a syncretic impulse of lots of shine and little shoe, and my didgeridooin’ is a continuation of such perfunctory guitar busking to date.  With my twelve-string guitar I’ve acquired the skills adequate enough to busk and gig.  With my didgeridoo I’ve skills adequate enough to busk, but not adequate enough to gig.

With my guitar I continue to compose new melodies and new lyrics whilst I busk, getting ever ready for my next gig elsewhere on the road or sidewalk, or maybe even a bar stage. With my didge, rather than any opus, I still can blow only those sempiternal earth-toned drones, suited only to my buskspot.

FACTOID:  My skills on guitar good are enough to take to the road, allowing me to be romantically nomadic (my delusional personal theme); whereas for now on the didge, my skills are limited to blowing terrestrial drones (my delusional presentation of the earth in song).

I must brag that droning my didgeridoo I’m just short of that grand tucket entrance, just a smidgen of a breath away from circular breathing proficiency.  However, generally speaking in regard to busking, my guitar strumming is restricted to warm and sunny seasons; whereas, my didgeridoo droning should be unfettered from the seasons, tolerable even during the inclement weather of winter.

And speaking of winter, here are some fall photos as I ready myself for the inevitable:

AUTUMN

Now is Autumn, and  I love the colored leaves, even though they are a stark reminder that the winter snow is soon coming.   Somewhat sadly and somewhat cowardly, these same leaves metaphorically remind me that I am in the autumn of my life.   

AUTUMN GEESE ON WASCANA LAKE
Wascana Lake is the stopover for over 10,000 geese each fall, another reminder of my current stage in life.

MY DIDGE REPAIR

Last week Joanne, owner and manager of BOOMTOWN DRUMS, gave me a couple of didgeridoos.  In the meantime, Baron’s didge developed a couple cracks and being ever ready to repair anything (I’m kidding of course … Factoid:  If it can be fixed with a knife and fork – I’m your guy), I took on the job.  I bought some bicycle tape from the bicycle shop and wrapped it around the mouthpiece.  It looks good! 
 
BARON ON THE PAN
The pan drum originated in Trinidad and Tobago and the didgeridoo originated in Australia.  Baron and I have decided to live on the bitter winter’s edge – he will tap the pan and I will toot the didgeridoo.  I find it quite fitting that our blistering winter busking will be of an exotic nature.

MONEY IS EVIL

It was the guitar that helped me discover my deeper self (when I didn’t know I was searching); my guitar elevated me from my day-to-day pedestrian notions of fun.  I do have a history of fun as watching television or going to the bar.  These past years I’ve discovered fun to be synonymous with busking, strumming and socializing on any city sidewalk in any locale.  I suspect the didge, too, will do the same and redefine my notion of fun.

That said, being a busker I am a mercenary (of sorts) with a mercenary mission.  I know that money is evil but … having a guitar case filled with money can be devilishly fun. 

ANOTHER AMERICANO DECAF PLEASE!   
SOMEBODY STOP ME!


No comments:

Post a Comment