Sunday, May 10, 2015

THE QUINTESSENTIAL BUSKER: MY AMERICANA RX



SELF AND BARON (BUSKING) ONE YEAR AGO
 Yesterday was 10 degrees (C) or 50 degrees (F), windless and sunny, albeit somewhat chilly for a faux busker, I grabbed my harp and slung my guitar and thrummed for some coin.  Buskapades so far this supposedly merry month of May have been few but I decided to carpe diem in spite of the weather.

And it was worth it.  The first four consumers tossed a fin into my guitar case.  Every time I’ve been busking I’ve received at least one five dollar bill, but never four in a row.  Such a pecuniary pattern is memorable; one time I received three twenty-dollar bills in a row from my first three consumers, and at the same buskspot as yesterday, VALUE VILLAGE MALL. 

Whilst thrumming, of course I was wool-gathering (this is my shtick) and I was, in usual narcissistic fashion, thinking about me.  I do fancy myself as the quintessential busker and here is my annotated (three reasons) spin thereof.

Firstly, cap-a-pie I present not as a clown or a clochard, but as an American middle-class worker.  I do this by having a messy shock of hair, cool shades, white t-shirt, faded jeans, and polished work-boots. 

My hair is thick and I like it messy; in fact, I have not combed or brushed my hair in over thirty years.  When I leave the shower I simply knuckle rub my hair until it is almost dried, and then I leave it at that.  My hair is always clean and always messy.

I prefer to busk on sunny days because my consumers are more munificent than on cloudy days.  And since I prefer the sun I always don a pair of cool shades.  The shades are I wore yesterday with the red frames and black lenses, I purchased from a sunglasses shoppe on the Dam when I busking in Amsterdam last summer.

My white shirts I like to keep white-white, or even better, blue-white.  (Isn’t blue-white the cleanest white?)  However, when I’m in a white t-shirt I like to be buffed, and so the couple months leading into summer, I always hit the weight room super, super hard.  I do not want to be the busker with a paunch.

There is something about blue jeans that I’ve always loved. 

Diktat:  Only jeans allowed. 

Factoid:  I’ve been wearing jeans all my life.  In my adolescence I wore blue jeans.  In my emerging adulthood university/pipeline years I only had blue jeans.  During my professional counseling years I wear new/er blue jeans.  When I teach at the university I wear new/er blue jeans.  In my private hypnotherapy practice I wear new/er blue jeans.  And when I busk I always wear old and faded and tattered blue jeans.

On my feet, since I tramp around lots when busking, I always wear work-boots, and my boots are always polished.  I’ve three pairs of work-boots, two black and one brown, all of which having steel-toes.  There is just something about t-shirts and faded jeans and work-boots that have mass appeal bonhomie to pedestrian America.   

Secondly, my chosen buskspots are well-thought out.  I busk usually on the city sidewalks and usually in front of vendors.  Never am I in any vendor doorway (unless the shop is closed), and I’m never thrumming there without permission from the store owner. 

Places that I never busk are coffee house outdoor patios, movie theaters, fast food lines, Sunday church or any day funeral services.  I consciously choose never to be intrusive while busking.  I prefer people to have the option of continuing to walk by, rather than to be stuck listening to music of a genre they may not prefer.

The Crave Kitchen and Wine Bar patio is right next door to my apartment.  The Atlantis Coffee patio is but a one-minute walk from my apartment.  The Metropolitan Knox Church is a two-minute walk from my apartment.  Never ever would I consider busking at these places because the patrons at Crave and Atlantis are in a fixed sitting position until their coffee sipping is fini, and strumming for a chorus line entering or exiting a church just seems too obsequious for my existential sense of busking etiquette.

Thirdly, my playlist consists only of original ditties (no opus) that I have personally scribed.   Though every time I’m busking there is always a particular song request, never do I acquiesce and play a cover.  This is my rule.  I have a half-hour set list in my head, which I play three times at any of my preferred buskspots.  Once I’ve been through my set list three times, I move on.  When I’m not at one of my preferred buskingdoms (VALUE VILLAGE, SHOPPERS ON BROAD, or ITALIAN STAR), and am instead at a random street site, it may be that I strum my song list only one time, depending on the generosity of the passers-by.

And to close my argy-bargy on busking ...  
An Rx Americana persona ought to be frequently punctuated with an Americano decaf, two cream, one honey.

THE QUINTESSENTIAL BOBBY ORR
NHL scout, BRAD HORNUNG, this morning sent me this picture that marks the 45th anniversary of Bobby Orr's most famous goal.  Bobby flew right after his goal won the Stanley Cup for the 1970 Boston Bruins.  I shall add that my friend, long-time NHL player and NHL hockey scout, BILLY LESUK (friend, too, of Brad), played on that same team that year with Bobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment