Sunday, December 14, 2014

STREAM OF CONSCIOUSNESS: A CREEK OF COGITATION (A NOTEKEU OF NOTES)





Every week when I go to write my blog entry I don’t know what I’m writing about until I write about it.  Sounds crazy but it’s true.  And I cannot begin to write anything until I’ve created a snappy title.
Take, for example, the snappy title of this blog entry, STREAM OF CONSCIOUSNESS:  A CREEK OF COGITATION (A NOTEKEU OF NOTES).  

I think it is snappy because … I knew I was going to write about stream of consciousness thinking (this is a direct consequence of my opening my new private hypnotherapy practice obsession). Creek of cogitation is a synonymous sub-title (complete with the over-use of alliteration as a catchy literary device), and I could not resist the Notekeu of notes (more alliteration about my favorite county, Notekeu, which happens to be adjacent to Whiska Creek, which is another story from the same sailor scrubbing a different deck aboard a different ship). 

STEAM OF CONSCIOUSNESS refers to a narrative that depicts a multitude of thoughts which pass through the mind in a prescribed sense of time.  In other words, STREAM OF CONSCIOUSNESS is an interior monologue, a oneversation so to speak (pun intended).

This idea of thinking hopscotch, of having an unending thought parade, was first coined by Psychologist, William James (The Principles of Psychology, 1890), where he stated, “The stream of our thought is like a river.” 

Hmmm … 

Methinks his simile is not unlike a mixed metaphor, in the sense that a stream is not a river but … not really a mixed metaphor because a stream and a river are similar.  I just would not use stream and river together in the same devised literary comparison … fussy, fussy I know … but I know that a simile is a metaphor, and a metaphor is not necessarily a simile, and in this case, a mixed metaphor simile of sorts … but enough of this.

Here goes my stream of consciousness:

TRAVERS CHILD

Hmmm …

I’ll begin with my son, Travers, who is off to Nepal tomorrow.  This sounds exciting but for him it’s just another adventure in another country.  Travers has lived abroad for nine years, has traveled to over fifty countries, and could be cataloged as an academic hiker/snowboarder.  When he travels in summer he hikes.  When he travels in winter he snowboards. 

Last summer our family hiked in the green hills of Ireland.  Before that we did some hiking at Chamonix, a favorite winter paradise where Travers has spent considerable ride time.

TRAVERS AT CHAMONIX

Hmmm …


DARREN


MARK
Hmmm ...

I cannot help but think of my band mates, Darren and Mark.  After a series of texts today from morn until noon, we’ve finally figured that we’ll be jamming on Wednesday – We’ve an important gig commitment come January 7th at our favorite Regina bar, BUSHWAKKER BREW PUB.  We’ve performed there a few times before under the name, PHANTOM TIDE.  We are now officially listed as BLACK BROOK TIDES, named after one of the most beautiful beaches on the planet, BLACK BROOK BEACH in Cape Breton, Canada -- Darren is from Cape Breton.  (Back to Travers:  Travers has been there and confirms the beauty of the beach to be true … I've been there too ... it's true.)

Hmmm …

MY FAMILY AT UNCLE JIM'S FUNERAL SERVICE
I knew Uncle Jimmy all my love … (I’ve inadvertently typed love instead of life and I guess that says it all.)

Hmmm …

GREG AT THE FARMERS' MARKET
When I first set up to draw pencil portraits at the summer market my very first customer was Greg (and I did not charge him though he wanted to pay, pay, pay).  Since that first drawing day, I’ve sketched hundreds of people.  

I am a busker!  With my guitar and harp or my pencil and notepad I LOVE BUSKING!  My songs are never covers and ... MY PENCIL NEVER LIES!

And then I started drawing dogs!

LUKE

 
LUKE'S PORTRAIT

Hmmm ... 

This began when my complicated friend, Robin, requested that I draw a picture of her dog, Luke.  Since Luke, I’ve penciled many a pet portraiture.

Hmmm …

Check out RATE MY PROFESSOR!  I am HOT!  I am FUNNY!  (As an academic I SUCK!)

Hmmm …

IVIKA AND PETER (GREMMY)

My best busking buddies from Slovakia are still busking in Ireland.  Last I heard (through email) they were busking and gigging in Sword.  I met Peter and Ivika when I was busking in Dublin.  In fact, I had borrowed Peter’s guitar when I was busking in the Temple Bar!  Google the Slovakian band, GREMMY and you'll appreciate their talent!

Hmmm …

PEGGY AND STU

Stu is a superannuated teacher turned my-favorite- photographer.  I remember Stu from many years ago when  I was a member of the University of Regina Diving Team.  Back then Stu was the guy.  Stu was the best diver in the province at that time, under the tutelage of Bev Lawson, an aquatic icon. Every time I busk at the market, Stu is clicking there.  Stu and I have had numerous chats during my downtown (busking) years.

Hmmm …

PISA, ITALY

When Travers lived in Milan, one of our stops was the Leaning Tower of Pisa. 

Hmmm … 

TRAVERS

Whenever I think of pizza I think of Travers and pepperoni pizza … with olives and jalapeno peppers … When he eats pizza ... Travers eats only pepperoni pizza ...

As humans we are in constant thought.  (How egocentric does this sound?  Just because I have constant racing thoughts, I have decided that all creatures that are human are so accursed!)

My delusional and narcissistic thinking is that this blog entry is just another essay for my bildungsroman soon-to-be bestseller collection, PSYCHOLOGY BUSKING a la wordswords.   

Dear reader ... my thoughts today have been a flounce ... 
a free flowing stream of consciousness ...  my Notekeu notes ... 
I’ll now stop ...


No comments:

Post a Comment