Friday, August 23, 2013

OLD SOLDIERS NEVER DIE, THEY JUST STRUM AWAY: JOHNNY GOT HIS GUN, AND SO DID ELVIS AND JIMI AND JERRY (AND JASON)



The above photograph was given to me by National Hockey League scout, Brad Hornung.

I thought you’d like this, he said.

He was right.  I love this – so much that it is the inspiration for this blog entry.

Fact:  Some famous guitar players have been soldiers.

Factoid:  Some famous guitar players that have been gunslingers include Jerry Garcia, Jimi Hendrix, Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, and (Jason Everman).

JERRY Captain Trips GARCIA (1942-1995) was enlisted in the United States Army, serving as a Private at the Presidio.  Being AWOL too many times he was honorable discharged.

JIMI the Black Elvis HENDRIX (1942-1970) was a paratrooper in the 101st Airborne Division, being awarded the prestigious Screaming Eagles patch.  He, like Jerry Garcia, was granted an honorable discharge on the basis of unsuitability.

ELVIS the King PRESLEY (1935-1977) took a break from stardom to join the ranks. Elvis was a pistol sharpshooter in the United States Army.

JOHNNY the Man in Black CASH (1932-2003) spent four years in the service, stationed in Germany as a Morse Cod intercept operator.  While there, he his bought his first guitar and formed his very first band, the Landsberg Barbarians.

JASON War Hero EVERMAN (1967) is famous for being booted from two famous bands, Nirvana and Soundgarden!  Jason became a Ranger in the United States Army, serving on tours in Iraq and Afghanistan, and other secret places where Special Forces operate.



And where have all these soldiers gone?  They’re gone to graveyards everyone, save for Jason Everman, who is still very much among the living.  Jason has just received his Bachelor of Arts (Philosophy) from Columbia University.

 Johnny and Elvis and Jimi and Jerry have not yet faded and are still strumming … on YouTube.

I remind my readers that I am a BUSKOLOGIST, not a military commentator.   Therefore, I shall offer this whimsy on three commonalities betwixt soldiers and strummers:

Both like the BARS.
Both are subject to BOOBY TRAPS.
Both need to take heed of BEE BOP MINORS.

And here are a couple of original busking songs I’ve written having a military theme:

JACK WAS EVERY INCH A SAILOR
D                                 A
Jack was every inch a sailor
                                         D
Sailed with Columbus to America
                                 A
On the Nina and the Pinta
A7                       D
And the Santa Maria


D                                 A
Jack was every inch a sailor
                                             D
Sailed with Darwin to Galapagos
                                            A
Sailed with Parry to the North Pole
A7                                        D
Sailed to the South  on the Fram


D                                 A
Jack was every inch a sailor
                                             D
Scrubbed ol' Rusty Guts at seventeen
                             A
Chasing German submarines
        A7                       D
And blowing them to smithereens


D                                 A
Jack was every inch a sailor
                                                 D
Danced the night away with Norma
                              A
At the Port of Barcelona
A7                                 D
Had her tattoo on his arm


D                                 A
Jack was every inch a sailor
                                     D
A North Atlantic Able Seaman
                                            A
Jack was every inch a sailor
A7                                          D
On Valentine's Day he sailed home [x2]

A                       D
Home is the sailor
Home from sea                        (X2)


GOING SOMEWHERE
D         A         Em       [intro]

Em               C               Am             Em                  D             A               Em
Hey hey I'm going, I'm going somewhere                  I           don't know where
Em                 C                  Am           Em
I'm not going back, no I'm not going there

D   A   Em
Never again                 [X2]   
                                   
Em                   C               Am            Em                   D         A                 Em
Hey hey I'm going, I'm going somewhere                  I           don't know where
Em               C                         Am         Em
I've been in arms, I've been a soldier in war

D   A   Em
Never again                 [X2]

Em                   C                Am            Em                  D         A               Em
Hey hey I'm going, I'm going somewhere                  I           don't know where
Em                C                       Am           Em
I've been in chains … I've served my time

D   A   Em
Never again                 [X2]                                       

[instrumental and humming]
Em       C         Am       Em                               D         A                 Em
                                                                        I        don't know where

Em       C         Am       Em                               D         A                 Em
                                                                        I        don't know where
D   A    Em
Never again                 [X2]                           
                                   
Em                   C               Am             Em                  D         A                Em
Hey hey I'm going, I'm going somewhere                  I           don't know where
Em              C                   Am                 Em             
I've been in love, had my heart broke enough
D   A   Em
Never again                 [X2 & FADE]
                            

PEACE ‘N LOVE ...
 TO ALL YOU BROS AND SISES OF THE BUSKERHOOD!


CHAUCERIAN PARADE
Two marchers in my Chaucerian Parade this week are Yvonne and Marianne, officials at JASPER NATIONAL PARK, CANADA.  Both have encouraged me to play my twelve-string and harp during CULTURE DAYS, September 28 & 29, right in downtown Jasper!

No comments:

Post a Comment